Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday, the 22nd

We were scheduled for surgery at 9:40 this morning. Had to be at the hospital by 7 a.m. Surgery went beautifully. We did not get to see Drew until 2 p.m. when he was sent up to his room. He was in pain and looked so pitiful. They had given him a cracker and a Sprite in recovery and were waiting to see how he tolerated food before letting him eat. We were thankful for that decision because he soon got very nauseated and threw all of the liquid and cracker up. He did feel a little better after that though, and they were able to get his pain under control.

Dr. Hajjar came in late afternoon and spent a great while talking and explaining all of the chosen treatment and possible side effects to all of us. A bit of possible good news: treatment may be shortened to 35 weeks instead of 48, barring no delays or infections. The newest revealed research indicates that Ewing's sarcoma is responding well to "compressed" treatments. In short, Drew will receive the same number of treatments, only condensed into more frequent time slots. This is only a tentative plan, however, for it will all depend on Drew's tolerance for the medications.

We had several decisions to make today regarding our choices for Drew and Drew's own preferences. We are thankful that the Lord gave us all a unity in those decisions.

Kim's sister flew in from Mississippi and has already been a HUGE blessing. She stayed with Drew tonight. At last check tonight, they were watching the Magics basketball game together.

Bone marrow test was put off until tomorrow for Drew's comfort. Chemo begins Wednesday.

Another day by the grace of God. We are reminded of the song, "Where Could I Go".

"...but when my souls needs manna from above, where could I go but to the Lord?"

No comments:

Post a Comment